Mandriva::2010 my fair Adelie
My new PC ::
- Intel Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2MB cache
- Graphics Card Integrated Intel 810 (Device ID 0x29c2)
- RAM 2 GB
- Hard Disk ATA WDC WD2500AAKS-0 (250GB)
- Soundcard ICH7 Family High Definition (Device ID 0x27d8)
- play and encode … DVD to MKV, and MKV to 3GP media formats.
- communication tool … webcam, output and input (mic) audio. Being able to record Skype conversations (bonus).
- backup encrypted data. I am not needing an encrypted home partition on this box.
Distribution Candidates ::
- Fedora 12 (Constantine)
- Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
- Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.3 (Lenny)
- Mandriva 2010 (Adelie)
Mandriva Adelie came out tops. Easy to install. Fast boot (less than 20 seconds). Stable operation. No bashing about to get anything working. The only unusual tweak to stop the notification to “upgrade”. Very simple setting up of media sources for software updates and installation. Simple access to non-free repositories (PLF- Penguin Liberation Front and MiB). Beautiful! Media plays smoothly, clear sound except for minor static from my sound card and low grade wiring when my microphone is in use (audible only from the second audio output, not the headphone).
My love affair with Adelie began last night. My only problem is how do i introduce her to my darling girlfriend without causing too much of a glitch. My girlfriend has the Spring version (Mandriva 2009.1) installed on an eeePC which is working like a dream. So why fix something if it isn’t broken, right? Perhaps I will not introduce them to one another.